We are in this pandemic together
Your safety, our safety, community safety is our primary concern.
Our Optometry office was closed from March 16 – June 2, 2020 in accordance with Alameda County Public Health Orders. While we were closed, we were working to stay informed about the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic and to prepare our healthcare office to re-open. Both Dr. Lin and Dr. Rivera have experience and training as research scientists; both receiving our masters degrees from UC Berkeley, School of Optometry in Physiological Optics and Vision Science. The reasoning of scientists and epidemiologists such as Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci resonate with us. The scientific community still does not fully understand this novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) and the resulting illness, COVID-19. This is our first pandemic (“FFE” as Brené Brown puts it) in 27 years as a small Oakland business and we will proceed with caution and empathy. Below are guidelines we have adapted from the California Optometric Association, the American Academy of Optometry, the CDC and OSHA regarding best practices for delivery of patient care in Optometry offices:
1) Do not come to our office if you are experiencing cold or flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, body aches, chills, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell. If you have flu like symptoms or came into contact with an individual who has COVID-19, contact your primary care physician via phone as a first step.
2). Please limit the number of people who accompany you to the visit to only one.
3) We are limiting the number of patients in our office. You can wait in your car and we can text you when we are ready for your visit.
4) We will be checking temperatures with touch less thermometer and oxygen levels with an oximeter (if it is working) on people who enter our office.
5) We ask that everyone upon entering our office to wear a face mask. If you do not have one, we will provide one for you to have and keep. We will have alcohol-based hand sanitizer underneath our George Nelson Eye clock for your use.
6) You must use hand sanitizer or wash your hands for 20 seconds before handling any display frames. Frames you try on should be placed in the box marked “Frames to be wiped with 70% Alcohol”. There are 3 sanitizing stations throughout our Optical area.
7) Our Optometrists and Optician will be wearing face masks and if appropriate face shields.
8) In addition to our usual hygiene and disinfection protocols of hand washing and disinfecting instruments with 70% isopropyl alcohol, we are using single use contact lens cases and single use saline for each contact lens patient and single use tonometer tips for intraocular pressure readings. We have added plastic breath shield to our slit lamp and phoropter.
Moderne Eye Optometry is OPEN.
We appreciate your support of our small business and appreciate your patience as our in-person capacity is limited by current social distancing recommendations.
Our office does not verify nor adjust glasses purchased elsewhere.
To expedite your requests for services – please always include your first name, middle initial and last name so we can retrieve your health information.
Text or voicemail: (510) 653-4242
NEW, NEW, location in Rockridge: 5330 College Ave. Ste. 110 (cross street Broadway)
Welcome to Moderne Eye Optometry
Since 1993, our private Optometry practice in North Oakland has contributed to the tapestry of the vibrant Rockridge neighborhood by providing excellent optometric eye care, fulfilling prescriptions in spectacular spectacles, and by donating goods and services to local students and schools. Our Optometrists receive 25 hours of optometric education yearly in order to deliver the latest in primary eye care, comprehensive eye examinations, and latest contact lens technology to our patients. Your glasses prescription and contact lens prescriptions will be provided to you immediately following the eye exam or at the completion of the contact lens (re-) fitting. Our ABO licensed Optician is skilled at adjusting, measuring and fitting personalized prescriptions for crisp optics utilizing state of the art lens design technology fitted in comfortable, fashionable glasses.
Moving to 5330 College Ave. Ste. 110 will allow us to continue providing our niche services of private practice primary comprehensive eye care and customizable optical lens technologies for spectacle prescriptions. Our eye care practice utilizes state of the art technologies such as Ocular Coherence Tomography (OCT), Fundus Photography, Automated Perimetry to help with early detection of manageable eye diseases such as maculopathies related to diabetes, hypertension, medications and aging; as well as, detecting optic nerve changes due to glaucoma and visual pathway abnormalities. Our optical services are provided by a licensed, American Board of Opticianry, Optician, who is skilled and knowledgeable about ophthalmic spectacle prescriptions and frame adjustments.
Right sizing our practice
As healthcare consumers have more choices for their purchases of spectacle prescriptions and contact lens prescriptions, Moderne Eye Optometry remains focused on our core services – comprehensive primary eye care and skilled optical services. If you choose Moderne Eye to provide your eye exam and/or optical services, we honor those services we provide in writing. If you choose to purchase your prescriptions elsewhere, please seek remedies such as frame adjustments and optical troubleshooting through the vendor who provided those products and services – this has been and is customary with optical services.
We need your first and last name (correct spelling) to access your medical records in order to help you with your inquiry regarding eye exam appointments, insurance verification, prescriptions for contacts or glasses. When you provide us with your cell phone number or email address along with your request, we can respond to your inquiries more efficiently. Our new communication system and encrypted email email@example.com are HIPAA compliant and we will only use your cell or email to communicate with you regarding your eye care, no promotions.